Stock photo licensed from

Is Your Fireplace WETT?

Posted February 15th, 2010 under say what?, renovations and repairs, smart buying, smart selling.

Does your home have a wood-burning fireplace, or are you thinking of adding one? If so, you need to be aware of WETT, which stands for Wood Energy Transfer Technology. (Don't laugh, we have acronyms for everything!)

WETT is a certication for inspectors that ensures they are knowledgeable about wood fireplaces. Lately, many insurance companies are demanding an inspection by a WETT-certied inspector before they will insure your home. A standard home inspection may no longer be enough if you have a wood-burning fireplace.

If you want to find a WETT inspector, you can try At the left side, under the magnifying glass, click on Search Now. Or, if the internet's not your thing, feel free to give me a call for more details.

Want to know more about WETT or home inspections? Just ask me, I'll be happy to help.


Get monthly real estate advice in your inbox, free! privacy policy